Killara Lawn Tennis Club

8 Arnold Street, Killara NSW 2071 Tel: 02 9498 1653

About Us

Killara Lawn Tennis Club offers one of the finest tennis club facilities for North Shore Tennis, with six quality, well drained synthetic grass courts, located in a picturesque setting in the heart of Killara.

You may like to enjoy a drink in our historic clubhouse - seating overlooks the courts and includes a viewing balcony for the sun lovers.

A strong social tennis program runs on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons as well as on mid-week mornings for ladies. The club also has an active social calendar with various events throughout the year, providing members with the opportunity to socialise off the court.

The club has a strong focus on competition tennis, entering teams in the Sydney Badge Competition as well as Northern Suburbs Tennis Association (NSTA) competitions.

Our coaching professionals foster the club's juniors. Coaching programs are conducted by Inspire Tennis and are available to players of all ages and standards.

History

Established as a private club in 1912, the Killara Lawn Tennis Club was founded by J.G. Edwards. The club has a great history of providing social and competition tennis for North Shore tennis players and has been the foundation of many great Australian Tennis Players, with the ‘honor board’ in the club house naming many past greats such as “Rosewall”, “Stolle” and “Hoad”. Past Club champions include Fred Stolle (1955-57) and 1909 Davis Cup player Dr Granville Sharp (1923-25/1927-29).

The prestigious Northern Suburbs Lawn Tennis Championships were held at Killara and attracted many well known players. Past winners include Jack Crawford (1930's), Adrian Quist (1940's), Lew Hoad and Neale Fraser (1950's).

In 2012 the Club will celebrate 100 years as an operating tennis centre.  A number of events of events are planned to celebrate this milestone in the club's history.

Many members, both past and present, have added their own piece of history to the Club over the past 100 years.  The Depression in the thirties, World War II in the forties, the construction of the current day Clubhouse in the fifties, and the sad but unavoidable task of removing the lawn tennis courts and replacing them with synthetic grass in 2005.

A new chapter in the Club's history began with the introduction of night tennis in 2012 with lights being constructed on four of the six courts.  Killara Lawn Tennis Club has and will continue to be committed to being a centre of excellence in the development of tennis on the North Shore of Sydney.

Club President

Tony Veale

Tony has been playing tennis since the age of 8. Brought up in England, he was a member of a very active Tennis Club in Bristol as a Junior and played the Junior Tennis Circuit in the South West of England.

Tony has lived in Sydney for over 40 years. He has consistently played Badge, NSTA Tennis and Night Comp on the North Shore of Sydney over that time.

Tony joined Killara Lawn Tennis Club in 2006, he has actively been involved in the management of the Club since that time. He held the position of Club Captain from 2009 to 2012. He held the position of President from 2012 – 2016. He became President for a Second Term in 2020.

Tony believes in KLTC being a strong community orientated Tennis Club that organises quality Social and Competition Tennis throughout the year for it’s members.

Tony’s goals in his second term as president are to:
• enhance the Membership of the Club with a particular focus on Families, Juniors and Ladies Tennis
• continue to actively manage and enhance the KLTC facility
• ensure a full program of quality tennis is offered to the members of the Club
• encourage the Social aspects of the Club

 

Club Captain

Mark Bernhardi